Thursday, December 15, 2011
Speak Truth to Power
In school we're forced to learn about all different kinds of things; english, history, math etc.. We don't really get to pay attention to what we're learning because we're trying so hard to get good grades and finish the homework as quickly as possible. Sometimes we don't give things the proper attention that they deserve. I just watched the most moving and amazing movie about African American women in the mid to late 20th century. The thought that our relatives could have treated people so poorly because of the color of their skin is sickening. I like to think that my ancestors would never do such a thing, and that they would think the same way I do, but I guess I'll never know. There is nothing more painful than learning about how horribly we treated human beings before there were civil rights laws, and it wasn't too long ago. It's physically painful to watch and read about what happened to them, knowing that almost no one did anything to stop it. It breaks my heart to know the things that we do, and that if we only had a time machine we could go back and make a difference, make it different. The worst part about it all is that it still happens. How a person could have no respect for someone else just because they look different, shame on you. People say that this is the worst time America has seen, even including the great depression. I say that they're wrong. The worst America could ever be was when there was no equality. Forgive me if I'm pontificating, but someone had to say something. Silence does nothing but encourage more silence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment